Late 1876 – schoolteacher Oscar Samuel petitions the
Lutheran Church to license him as a minister and allow him to start a church in
1877 – first church building is built
January 29, 1893 – St. Paul votes to leave the Lutheran
Church and join the Evangelical Church
1892-1934 – St. Paul is pastored by the legendary,
unofficial “Bishop of Texas” Rev. Carl Kniker. St. Paul gives birth to a number
of daughter churches, including Redeemer in Zuehl, St. John Lutheran in Marion,
and churches in Converse and Leissner School area of Seguin.
1905 – second church building is built
1934 – the Evangelical Church merges with the Reformed
Church to form the Evangelical & Reformed Church (E & R for short.)
1957 – The E & R merges with the Congregational
Christian Churches to form the United Church of Christ.
1958 – third building is built
1966 – the terrible tragedy of the car and train wreck where
Rev. Robert Breitkreutz, his wife and two young children, and Rev. Raymond
Maggart were killed at the train crossing between Seguin and McQueeney.
February 1, 2000 – Rev. Brett Becker becomes the pastor of
St. Paul by unanimous vote.
2001 – St. Paul celebrates its 125th anniversary.
2003 – Mr. Willie Stratemann completes the requirements to
become a Licensed Minister and by unanimous vote is called to be the Associate
January 29, 2006 – Due to theological differences which lead
to other differences, St. Paul votes to leave the UCC and join the Evangelical
Association and to change the name of the church back to what it was for much
of its early history – St. Paul Evangelical Church.
June 2014, Pastor Brett Becker resigned his position to
start a new church.
June 2014, Pastor H.W. Stratemann steps in as interim
June 2015, Pastor Jason Ford is called to lead our “Church
Family” by unanimous vote from the congregation.